Mineral Resources On-Line Spatial Data
Mineral Resources > Online Spatial Data > Geology > by state > Kansas Geology
Geologic units in Chautauqua county, Kansas
- Lansing Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Carboniferous Pennsylvanian-Middle [Missourian]) at surface, covers < 0.1 % of this area
Stanton Limestone- three limestone and two shales members, ranges from 15 to 130 ft. thick. Vilas Shale- sandy, carbonaceous gray shale with some sandstone and limestone locally, ranges from 5 to 120 ft. thick. Plattsburg Limestone- two limestone members separated by shale, ranging from 25 to 115 ft. thick.
- Douglas Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Carboniferous Pennsylvanian-Late [Virgilian]) at surface, covers 32 % of this area
Lawrence FM (base LA)- mostly gray shale and sandstone with minor red shale, coal, gray limestone and conglomerate, thickness ranges from 140ft to 250 ft. Stranger FM- five members containing sandstone, shale, and minor limestone, coal and conglomerate ranging from 100 ft. to 180 ft. thickness.
- Alluvium (Phanerozoic | Cenozoic | Quaternary | Pleistocene Holocene) at surface, covers 6 % of this area
unconsolidated sand, silt, clay, and gravel
- Admire Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Carboniferous Pennsylvanian-Late) at surface, covers 1 % of this area
Includes: Grenola Limestone, Roca Shale, Red Eagle Limestone (base RE), Johnson Shale, Foraker Limestone (base FO), Janesville Shale with Five Point Limestone Member (base FP), Falls City Limestone, and Onaga Shale.
- Wabaunsee Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Carboniferous Pennsylvanian-Late [Virgilian]) at surface, covers 24 % of this area
Includes: Wood Siding FM, Root Shale, Stotler Limestone (base ST), Pillsbury Shale, Zeandale Limestone (base Z), Willard Shale, Emporia Limestone (base E), Auburn Shale, Bern Limestone (base BR), Scranton Shale, Howard Limestone (base H), and Severy Shale.
- Shawnee Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Carboniferous Pennsylvanian-Late [Virgilian]) at surface, covers 37 % of this area
Includes: Topeka Limestone, Calhoun Shale, Deer Creek Limestone (base DC), Tecumseh Shale, Lecompton Limestone (base LC), Kanwaka Shale, Oread Limestone with Plattsmouth Limestone Member (base PL).
- Council Grove Group (Phanerozoic | Paleozoic | Permian [Gearyan]) at surface, covers 0.1 % of this area
Includes: Speiser Shale, Funston Limestone, Blue Rapids Shale, Crouse Limestone (base CS), Easy Creek Shale, Bader Limestone (base BE), Stearns Shale, Beattie Limestone, Eskridge Shale, and Neva Limestone.