Mineral Resources On-Line Spatial Data
Mineral Resources > Online Spatial Data > Geology > by state > North Carolina Geology
Geologic units in Jones county, North Carolina
- Castle Hayne Formation; Comfort Member and New Hanover Member, undivided (Tertiary) at surface, covers 26 % of this area
Comfort Member and New Hanover Member, undivided - Comfort Member: bryozoan-echinoid skeletal limestone, locally dolomitized, solution cavities common. New Hanover Member: phosphate-pebble conglomerate, micritic, thin; restricted to basal part of Castle Hayne Formation in southeastern counties.
- River Bend Formation (Tertiary) at surface, covers 19 % of this area
River Bend Formation - limestone, calcarenite overlain by and intercalated with indurated, sandy, molluscan-mold limestone.
- Belgrade Formation, Undivided (Tertiary) at surface, covers 8 % of this area
Belgrade Formation, Undivided - Pollocksville Member: oyster-shell mounds in tan to orange sand matrix, indurated locally. Haywood Landing Member: fossiliferous clayey sand, gray to brown. Members grade into each other laterally.
- Peedee Formation (Cretaceous) at surface, covers 13 % of this area
Peedee Formation - sand, clayey sand, and clay, greenish gray to olive black, massive, glauconitic, locally fossiliferous and calcareous. Patches of sandy molluscan-mold limestone in upper part.
- Yorktown Formation and Duplin Formation, Undivided (Tertiary) at surface, covers 14 % of this area
Yorktown Formation and Duplin Formation, Undivided - Yorktown Formation: fossiliferous clay with varying amounts of fine-grained sand, bluish gray, shell material commonly concentrated in lenses; mainly in area north of Neuse River. Duplin Formation: shelly, medium- to coarse-grained sand, sandy marl, and limestone, bluish gray; mainly in area south of Neuse River.
- Castle Hayne Formation; Spring Garden Member (Tertiary) at surface, covers 20 % of this area
Spring Garden Member - molluscan-mold limestone, indurated, very sandy. Grades downward into a calcareous sand and laterally into Comfort Member.