Eva Creek

Mine, Inactive

Commodities and mineralogy

Main commodities Au
Other commodities W
Ore minerals gold; scheelite; wolframite

Geographic location

Quadrangle map, 1:250,000-scale FB
Quadrangle map, 1:63,360-scale A-4
Latitude 64.049
Longitude -148.83
Nearby scientific data Find additional scientific data near this location
Location and accuracy The Eva Creek mine is located in sec. 13, T. 10 S., R. 7 W., Fairbanks Meridian. The coordinates given are for a placer-mining operation that was active on Eva Creek in 1916, about one-quarter mile above the mouth of Wilson Creek. This mine is locality 65 of Cobb (1972 [MF 410]). (Note that there is another Eva Creek in the Fairbanks district near Ester (FB050) that also has been placer mined for gold.)

Geologic setting

Geologic description

The first attempt at mining on Eva Creek took place in 1915, when a small quantity of gold was found by two men who opened a small cut in the stream bed of the upper valley (Maddren, 1918, p. 385). Mining also took place in 1916, from 1920 to 1921, from 1933 to 1938, and in 1940 (Cobb, 1976 [OFR 76-662, p. 44]). Ralph Simonson operated a placer mine on the creek in 1989 (Bundtzen and others, 1990, p. 37).
The schist in the area is the California Creek Member of the Totalanika Schist; it consists of quart-orthoclase-sericite schist and augen gneiss (Wahrhaftig, 1970 [GQ-810]). A rock unit composed of iron-oxide-cemented gravels that strike northeast and dip 23 SE is above the schist, and under the stream gravels in the upper creek (Maddren, 1918, p. 385-386). Wahrhaftig (1970 [GQ-810]), mapped the middle and lower part of Eva Creek as the Nenana Gravel. Placer gold was mined from Eva Creek in 1916, from 1920 to 1921, from 1933 to 1938, and in 1940 (Cobb, 1976 [OFR 76-662, p. 44]). Scarce wolframite and rare scheelite were also found in placer concentrates (Joesting, 1942 [ATDM Pamph. 1]). The gold varies from 831 to 846 fine (Glover, 1950).
Geologic map unit (-148.83233797146, 64.048542236565)
Mineral deposit model Placer Au (Cox and Singer, 1986; model 39a)
Mineral deposit model number 39a
Age of mineralization Quaternary placer.

Production and reserves

Workings or exploration The first attempt at mining on Eva Creek took place in 1915, when a small quantity of gold was found by two men who opened a small cut in the stream bed in the upper valley (Maddren, 1918, p. 385). In 1916, another placer operation was undertaken, about a quarter mile above the mouth of Wilson Creek (Maddren, 1918, p. 385). Here, three men built an automatic dam and ground sluiced a 3- to 4-foot-thick cut in stream gravels. Mining also took place from 1920 to 1921, from 1933 to 1938, and in 1940 (Cobb, 1976 [OFR 76-662, p. 44]). Ralph Simonson operated a placer mine on the creek in 1989 (Bundtzen and others, 1990, p. 37).
Indication of production Yes; small
Production notes Information on placer production is not available.

References

MRDS Number A015345; D002632

References

Reporters J.R. Guidetti Schaefer and C.J. Freeman (Avalon Development Corporation)
Last report date 7/31/2001