|Quadrangle map, 1:250,000-scale||MH|
|Quadrangle map, 1:63,360-scale||A-2|
|Nearby scientific data||Find additional scientific data near this location|
|Location and accuracy||This mine is on Kraemer Creek (sometimes spelled Kramer), a tributary to Limestone Creek. The main cut of the mine is near the northeast corner of section 3, T. 21 S., R. 16 E., Fairbanks Meridian, and is about 0.2 mile west of Trout Lake (Moffit, 1944). Kraemer Creek is combined with Limestone Creek (MH309) and Bedrock Creek (MH310) as locality 29 on figure 6 of Cobb (1979 [OFR 79-238]) and as locality 68 of MacKevett and Holloway (1977).|
Geologic descriptionKraemer Creek is a half-mile long creek that flows on a broad bench on the west side of the Middle Fork Chistochina River. It is subparallel to and about one-quarter mile south of Limestone Creek. The Kraemer Creek mine developed auriferous gravels on a mile-wide bench on the west side of the Middle Fork Chistochina. Placer gold in the area is in small, flattened but dense nuggets. Gold on Kraemer Creek reportedly was somewhat coarser than on Limestone Creek (MH309). Some of the gold on Kraemer Creek occurred in grains that weighed about 0.02 ounce (Moffit, 1944). According to mine operator Martin Jasper (in 1941), heavy minerals in decreasing order of abundance were magnetite, pyrite, chromite, galena, and olivine (?). Platinum, native copper, and sparse native silver also occurred in the concentrates (Moffit, 1944).
|Geologic map unit||(-144.651330606733, 63.1306071581219)|
|Mineral deposit model||Placer Au-PGE (Cox and Singer, 1986; model 39a).|
|Mineral deposit model number||39a|
|Age of mineralization||Pleistocene.|
|Workings or exploration||Placer gold was found in Kraemer Creek at least by 1907 (Moffit, 1912, 1944). The Kraemer Creek mine was first included in the Cleveland group of claims, which later were incorporated in a group of 75 claims owned by the Middle Fork Mining Company of Seattle. The company conducted an extensive exploration program between 1934 and 1941 (Moffit, 1937, 1944). A large-scale mining operation begun in 1941 was terminated by World War II (Moffit, 1954).|
|Indication of production||Undetermined|
Additional commentsA possible low-grade gold resource exists on benches cut by Kraemer and nearby creeks (Moffit, 1944).
Cobb, E.H., 1979, Summary of references to mineral occurrences (other than mineral fuels and construction materials) in the Mount Hayes quadrangle, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 79-238, 140 p.
MacKevett, E.M., Jr., and Holloway, C.D., 1977, Map showing metalliferous and selected non-metalliferous mineral deposits in the eastern part of southern Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 77-169-A, 99 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:1,000,000.
Moffit, F.H., 1912, Headwater regions of Gulkana and Susitna Rivers, Alaska, with accounts of the Valdez Creek and Chistochina placer districts: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 498, 82 p.
Moffit, F.H., 1937, Recent mineral developments in the Copper River region: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 880-B, p. 97-109.
Moffit, F.H., 1944, Mining in the northern Copper River region, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 943-B, p. 25-47.
|Reporters||W.T. Ellis (Alaska Earth Sciences) and C.C Hawley (Hawley Resource Group)|
|Last report date||7/12/2003|