|Quadrangle map, 1:250,000-scale||NM|
|Quadrangle map, 1:63,360-scale||C-2|
|Nearby scientific data||Find additional scientific data near this location|
|Location and accuracy||Oregon Creek is an east tributary to Cripple River; the mouth of Oregon Creek is where the Nome-Teller road crosses Cripple River. This site is 2 to 3 miles below Nugget Gulch (NM147). According to Collier and others (1908, p. 211), a section of ground about a half mile below the mouth of Nugget Creek was particularly productive and is this location. The location is also near six mining claims active between 1926 and 1965 (Heiner and Porter, 1972, Kardex site Kx 52-185; Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys, 1982). This area was included in locality 71 of Cobb (1972 [MF 463], 1978 [OFR 78-93]).|
Geologic descriptionPlacer mining on Oregon Creek about a half mile below Nugget Gulch was in a gravel from 1.5 to 6 feet thick that consisted of schist, limestone (marble), and granite pebbles. Gold was bright, coarse, and little worn and was produced above a false, yellow-clay bedrock as well as in crevices in marble below the clay. The concentrates were rich in octahedral magnetite and contained some hematite, bismuth, and garnet. Approximately one-quarter mile above this locality, gold occurred mostly in a 2-foot-thick gravel section and in crevices in the underlying bedrock (Collier and others, 1908, p. 211-212).
|Geologic map unit||(-165.687528502291, 64.6824352635734)|
|Mineral deposit model||Alluvial placer Au (Cox and Singer, 1986; model 39a).|
|Mineral deposit model number||39a|
|Age of mineralization||Quaternary.|
|Workings or exploration||Gold was discovered in Oregon Creek in the winter of 1898-99. Some ground about a quarter of a mile below Nugget Gulch was worked in 1900. The area was visited by F.L. Hess in 1903 who found production on eight claims along the creek. Parts of Oregon Creek have been worked more recently by mechanical methods. Activity on six claims was reported from 1927 until 1965 on Oregon Creek (Heiner and Porter, 1972, Kardex site Kx 52-185; Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys, 1982).|
|Indication of production||Yes; small|
|Production notes||Mining started in 1898 and continued intermittantly to 1965.|
Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys, 1982, Mining claim location maps -- Nome quadrangle: Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys, 8 p., 3 sheets, scales 1:63,360 and 1:250,000.
Collier, A.J., Hess, F.L., Smith, P.S., and Brooks, A.H., 1908, The gold placers of parts of Seward Peninsula, Alaska, including the Nome, Council, Kougarok, Port Clarence, and Goodhope precincts: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 328, 343 p.
Heiner, L.E., and Porter, Eve, 1972, Alaska Mineral Properties, volume 2: University of Alaska, Mineral Industry Research Laboratory Report 24, 669 p.
|Reporters||C.C. Hawley and Travis L. Hudson|
|Last report date||3/12/2000|