|Quadrangle map, 1:250,000-scale||NM|
|Quadrangle map, 1:63,360-scale||C-1|
|Nearby scientific data||Find additional scientific data near this location|
|Location and accuracy||Bourbon Creek is a stream on the Nome coastal plain that flows south to Snake River at Nome. Holyoke Creek is a tributary to Bourbon Creek. The map location is at about the midpoint of Bourbon Creek on the coastal plain. It is in the NE1/4 section 22, T. 11 S., R. 34 W., Kateel River Meridian. Bourban Creek is locality 128 of Cobb (1972 [MF 463], 1978 [OFR 78-93]).|
Geologic descriptionShallow alluvial gold deposits in Bourbon Creek and its tributary Holyoke Creek were discovered in 1900 (Brooks and others, 1901, p. 69, 83-84) and mining began soon afterward. Total production in 1900 was about 5,000 dollars (approximately 250 ounces of gold). Total production to 1903 on both Bourbon and Holyoke Creeks was about 100,000 dollars or 5,000 ounces of gold (Collier and others, 1908, p. 167). This production was entirely from shallow deposits derived by reworking gravel of the coastal plain. The trench occupied by Bourbon Creek was about 15 feet deep and about 500 feet wide; pay was shallow; Collier and others cite two sections, one about 6 feet deep, the second about 10 feet. Gradient of the creek was low, and only a few of the deposits were rich enough to work by shovel-in methods; one successful placer mine averaged 4 dollars per cubic yard. Early attempts at dredging the shallow ground failed because of inadequate dredges. Later attempts at dredging were stopped because much of the ground was frozen. By about 1906, drilling and shafts showed that Bourbon and Holyoke Creeks concealed local valuable pay streaks that had formed during marine transgression toward Third Beach. Depths to bedrock ranged from about of 17 to 120 feet.
|Geologic map unit||(-165.379799226883, 64.525434278086)|
|Mineral deposit model||Shallow alluvial placer gold deposits formed by reworking low-grade gravel deposits of the coastal plain along Bourbon and Holyoke Creeks (Moffit, 1913; Metcalfe and Tuck, 1942) (Cox and Singer, 1986; model 39a).|
|Mineral deposit model number||39a|
|Workings or exploration||The deposits were discovered in 1900. About 5,000 ounces of gold had been mined from shallow alluvial deposits by the end of 1903 (Collier and others, 1908). By 1906, drilling and shafts had been extensive enough to delineate buried marine deposits near the base of the coastal plain section.|
|Indication of production||Yes; small|
Bundtzen, T.K., Reger, R.D., Laird, G.M., Pinney, D.S., Clautice, K.H., Liss, S.A., and Cruse, G.R., 1994, Progress report on the geology and mineral resources of the Nome mining district: Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys, Public Data-File 94-39, 21 p., 2 sheets, scale 1:63,360.
Cobb, E.H., 1972, Metallic mineral resources map of the Nome quadrangle, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Field Studies Map MF-463, 2 sheets, scale 1:250,000.
Cobb, E.H., 1978, Summary of references to mineral occurrences (other than mineral fuels and construction materials) in the Nome quadrangle, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File report 78-93, 213 p.
Collier, A.J., Hess, F.L., Smith, P.S., and Brooks, A.H., 1908, The gold placers of parts of Seward Peninsula, Alaska, including the Nome, Council, Kougarok, Port Clarence, and Goodhope precincts: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 328, 343 p.
Metcalfe, J.B., and Tuck, Ralph, 1942, Placer gold deposits of the Nome district, Alaska: Report for U.S. Smelting, Refining, and Mining Co., 175 p.
|Reporters||C.C. Hawley and Travis L. Hudson|
|Last report date||7/10/2000|