Straight Creek

Mine, Inactive

Commodities and mineralogy

Main commodities Au; Sn
Ore minerals cassiterite; gold

Geographic location

Quadrangle map, 1:250,000-scale RB
Quadrangle map, 1:63,360-scale B-5
Latitude 64.45966
Longitude -155.38258
Nearby scientific data Find additional scientific data near this location
Location and accuracy Straight Creek is a 2 1/2-mile-long, east-flowing tributary of Birch Creek, a southeast-flowing tributary of Flint Creek, which subsequently flows northeast into the Sulatna River. The coordinates given correspond to location 6 of Cobb (1972 [MF405]) and mark the center of placer mining ground. The site lies in section 12, T. 12 S., R. 17 E. of the Kateel River meridian. The location is accurate.

Geologic setting

Geologic description

The hill drained by Straight Creek is composed of schist intruded by granitic dikes (White and Stevens, 1953; Eberlein and others, 1977). The contact between granite and schist is located near the mouth of the creek.
Gold and cassiterite were mined near the mouth of Straight Creek from a bench deposit of Birch Creek that is cut by Straight Creek (Chapman and others, 1963).
A placer mine was first established at Straight Creek in 1916 (Smith, 1917 [BMB153]). Straight Creek was mined until 1920, although more recent prospecting may have occurred along the creek (Eberlein and others, 1977).
Geologic map unit (-155.385009416114, 64.459057923012)
Mineral deposit model Placer Au (Cox and Singer, 1986; model 39a).
Mineral deposit model number 39a
Age of mineralization Quaternary?

Production and reserves

Workings or exploration Straight Creek was mined from 1916 to 1920 (Eberlein and others, 1977).
Indication of production Yes; small

References