Turkey Creek

Region West, Rocky Mountains
Mineral systems
Deposit types
Other minerals

Information leading to the delineation of this focus area

Basis for focus area The Turkey Creek focus area is comprised of U occurrences and host Cretaceous Dakota Formation. Tabular sandstone deposits are in carbonaceous fluvial and deltaic sediments (Chenoweth, 1980).
Identified resources Historical production of uranium.
Production The Avery mine produced 10,553 tons of ore averaging 0.15% U3O8 from 1955 to 1962 (Chenoweth, 1980). 1,407 tons were mined from the Red Cliff 30 during the period 1960-1967, at an average grade of 0.08% U3O8, producing 2,326 lbs U3O8. Totals include 19 tons at 0.22% U3O8 mined in 1960 (Nelson-Moore and others, 1978).
Status Past mining.
Estimated resources Estimated resources for the George Avery Ranch mine in 1956 were 63,000 mt with a grade of 0.17% U3O8.
Geologic maps Horton and others (2017), scale 1:500,000; Wobus and others (1985a, b), scale 1:24,000; Morgan and others (2006), scale 1:24,000; Scott (1977), scale 1:24,000; Lindsey and others (2020), scale 1:24,000.
Geophysical data Inadequate aeromagnetic and aeroradiometric coverage.
Favorable rocks and structures Cretaceous Dakota Formation, potentially the Morrison Formation.
Deposits Avery (George Avery, Avery Ranch) (MRDS dep_id: 10090128), Red Cliff 30 (Colexco No. 1-43), Dilley Lease (Dilley Ranch).
Evidence from mineral occurrences MRDS; International Atomic Energy Agency (2020b); U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (2006); Nelson-Moore and others (1978).
Geochemical evidence No data.
Geophysical evidence No data.
Evidence from other sources No data.
Comments Historical production from the George Avery Ranch Mine, Red Cliff 30, and small production from the Dilley Lease (which was at the base of the Morrison Formation). No production reported from the Ant Claims (Ralston Creek Formation), D-C Claims, Felch Creek 1, Rupp Property, Brandt claims, and others (Nelson-Moore and others, 1978).
Cover thickness and description Exposed at the surface; depth unknown.
Authors Susan Hall, Michael K. O'Keeffe.
New data needs Need geologic mapping at 1:24,000 scale of 3 quadrangles and lidar in western and southern part.
Geologic mapping and modeling needs Eastern half covered by recent 1:24,000 scale Colorado Geological Survey mapping. The following quadrangles would need 1:24,000 scale geologic mapping: Rice Mountain, Royal Gorge, Pierce Gulch, and potentially Timber Mountain and Stone City. Colorado Geological Survey has unpublished reconnaissance geologic maps of Stone City and Timber Mountain at 1:24,000 scale that would need to be verified/digitized.
Geophysical survey and modeling needs Rank 1 aeromagnetic/aeroradiometric data is needed. EM data would also be very helpful.
Digital elevation data needs Lidar adequate.